Driving License Renewal
Driving without a valid Driving Licence is an offence in India. This makes it necessary to renew or update a Driving Licence as soon as it expires or as the holder’s details change. A permanent Driving Licence (DL) is valid for 20 years or till the age of 50, whichever is first.
For renewing or updating a Driving Licence, the holder needs to visit the nearest Regional Transport Office (RTO). The grace period for renewing a DL is 30 days, within which one should complete the formalities. If the expiry date of the licence was 5 years ago or more, the holder may be asked to apply for a fresh licence.
For Private License:
- Application form (Form No. 9)– Can be collected from the nearest RTO
- Medical certificate (Form No.1 and Form No.1A) – Can be collected from the nearest RTO
- Expired Driving Licence
- 2 Passport size photographs
- Valid Proof of age (Birth certificate, voter Id, Adhar card, pan card, passport, etc.)
- Residential Proof
For Commercial License:
- All the documents as required in Private License
- Valid Medical Certificate in form No.1A(Mandatory)
- In case of HMV, Driver refreshing Training certificate is necessary as well
- One day/short period of Refresher Training course for all other category of Commercial vehicles is also necessary
Fee for Renewal of a Driving License
The Appropriate Fee as specified in Rule 32 of CMVR is-
|S. NO||Type of DL||Description
|1.||(a) Including grace period(b) After grace period||200+200(Smart Card)300+1000(each year or part thereof) + 200 (Smart Card)||4001500|
Updating Address On Driving Licence
A Driving Licence Holder should have his current address mentioned on the licence. To change the address, one must connect with RTO office which originally issued the licence or at the nearest one.
A change of address must be notified to the RTO within 30 of moving to a new address. In case the holder is migrating to another state, he must acquire a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the RTO office which originally issued the licence.
- Original Driving Licence bearing the old address
- Residential Address Proof for the new address
Applying for Duplicate Driving Licence
As said earlier, it is mandatory for a vehicle driver to carry a valid Driving Licence. This is why it is important to immediately begin with the process of getting a duplicate licence when you lose it or if gets stolen.
- Application form
- Details of the permanent Driving Licence
- FIR (In case of stolen licence)
- Passport size photographs
If the license is for a commercial, passenger or goods vehicle it must be renewed after every three years. Medical certificate is required for applicants above the age of 40 and for commercial drivers.
In the event of half-filled and unclear details on your form, verification of your documents can be put on hold or delayed. The driving license renewal for private vehicles is processed quickly, but it is not the same for commercial vehicle driving license renewal. It takes a thorough analysis before it could be sent to the driver by speed post. Any duplicate copies of documents submitted must be strictly attested by Notary Public or a Gazette Officer.
Source by:- ackoShare: